Wednesday, September 26, 2012

EAT

Taken by soleado

A delayed flight was my push to take a look at the souvenir shop and look for a book to read while waiting.

A book is something so uncommon these days. People stared, really. Even more when they noticed it was in English. I laughed inside. I felt smart. I could actually feel some bitterness in the air. Yes, people! Reading a book! Nothing to see here! What if they saw me with my lovely 35mm film camera?

I turned people off and my music on. I started to read and found the book fascinating. It was me or what? Every feeling I had felt before or in my near past was there. Trapped, not ready to settle down, desperate for freedom. Wanted to get away, travel, and found myself. It was all there, so I kept reading.

In the air I remembered that there was a movie based on this book. I saw it. There was nothing special about it. Really. Oh yes, Julia Roberts was in it and that’s it. I guess is another movie that doesn’t keep up with the book.

Or maybe not, I’ll check that movie again. Meanwhile, here's a little hint… “Say it like you eat it”.

4 comments:

  1. I love your writings!
    You should have take them pictures right into their faces, that would have been odd and funny. I guess we are not used to people like you. I even can imagine me there looking at you like "who does she think she is." Lol. Obviously, you are not that mainstream, my lovely hipster! Anyways, I think it's great that you don't really care about the ideas of the rest of people, especially if they criticize you by gossiping, by malicious talking or whatever. However, I think you can do your routine, reading books and listening music) and not really caring about the rest, but I mean anything, just being you.
    By reading this I can tell you have big dreams, like going away, almost disappearing , to learn more about yourself. Very ambitious I'd say or idk. I just hope you get what you want in life, but I want you to think in me when you be the boss of some company to hire me...
    Andrea, I think that at this time you shouldn't worry about misspelling or having bad orthography, you write just like a native English citizen and I'm proud of it !

    PS: I don't know how people do to read while listening to music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enzo:

      Stop labeling people! Who do you think you are?! haha.

      Anyway, I must say I don't have big dreams, I make plans. I work hard for them and make them happen. Dreams are just that, dreams.

      I DO have misspelling and orthography errors. The issue here is to be able to communicate. And if yo can do better at it while you practice, why not?

      How can people read while listening to music? Easy. How can you be at class thinking about something else rather than the teacher? Concentration. Lack or lots of it!

      I hope you are already "skyping" with natives! If not, it's time Enzo, c'mon! It's fun and not awkward, believe me!

      Delete
  2. I guess people nowadays get surprised by someone reading a book but they don't get surprised at all when they hear that some woman slept with the entire national football team. Awkward society right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people get annoyed with anything out of what is considered average behaviour. People love automatic responses and routine. Things out of the ordinary makes them think way too much. Either way, we are also a part of it. I found society fascinating and interesting to observe.
      If men can get away with it with no one caring, go women! ;)

      Delete